Anyone But Obama. Really?

Posted: 6th March 2012 by Alex Amiot in Politics
Tags: , , , ,
Anyone but Obama Gas Pump Sticky Note

“Hey There Voter! Do you remember that on Inauguration Day (Jan 20th) 2009, the national average for a gallon of gasoline was about $1.78? How’s that “Hope & Change” working out for you? Anyone But Obama Nov. 2012″

Image swiped from a friend's Facebook wall

Anyone?

Consider Hugo Chavez.  Would it really benefit the nation to replace Obama with a man who takes medical advice from Cuba? #overreachingabsolutestatement

DISCLAIMER:  This is not a political blog.  The sticky note message just reminded me of paragraphs 14 and 15 of this report that seem to suggest sticky note campaigns such as this one would benefit from adjusting their focus.

For the record, I wouldn’t vote for Hugo Chavez.

1. tygyrlyl says:

I’d even vote for a Club Footed Cow provided, however, that said Cow was a citizen of the United States of America.

2. Avatar of Isaac Bolin Isaac Bolin says:

Alex, I’m really enjoying reading your blog every week. I’m trying to use some of the elements of your blog in my own. Interesting stuff keep it up bud.

Thanks Isaac! I really liked your post about your new computer costing 300 big macs – hilarious. I like your banner too… I’ve been wondering about making one for myself. I’ll have to look into that.

3. Dan says:

Really Alex?– the anyone refers to whoever opposes Obama this fall. Not hard to figure out.

4. Nancy Amiot says:

I like this photo and it’s novel sticky note campaigning. It didnt cost much compared to the “millions and millions” that the Obama campaign will use. As far as Hugo Chavez, he is always cheering for the wrong team and doesn’t seem to have a good sense of reality. I vote against him by not buying Citgo gas which comes from Venezuela.

• Sean Shaffer says:

Hugo Chavez isn’t an American citizen, so I’m pretty sure using him, or Mickey Mouse (wait, is he…? lol ) as examples here might not be appropriate. Although the same charge has been laid toward our current president, because of some of his more murky past history. I can think of a few people that would be worse though, and they would be American citizens. Ironically, they are people BHO puts a great deal of respect in. Hmmmm…

Sean, thanks for your comment. I agree with your first sentence. Using Hugo Chavez as an example is indeed inappropriate. If I have any point at all, I think that’s it exactly. By saying “Anyone” but Obama, Chavez actually would be an appropriate example, since he is someone. My intention was to question the absolute nature behind the “Anyone” claim. It’s my position that political discourse just might improve if fewer ambiguous absolute claims were made.

• Sean Shaffer says:

I absolutely agree with your last statement. :-) Our country, in sports as well as politics, is such an “all or nothing”, broad-expansive-statements group of people, addicted to making knee-jerk reactions. It’s a huge reason we find ourselves in the financial position we are in: We say we need to cut spending and balance budgets, but we turn around and get concerned about the next spending thing, forgetting what resolutions we might have just been thinking about. Point well made. Absolutes are very rarely actually absolutes… :-)